Greetings from the PCU’s Institute of Philosophy and Religious Studies!
Religion is a dynamic force impacting not only our spiritual life but our culture and public life. Since the height of pandemic, religion was coming back, people turn to religion to find strength to survive. Religion is shaping our cultures and the complex civilizations. Studying religion is exciting and demanding. The way we study religion here IPRS is both critically and reverently, both academically and spiritually, involving the mind and heart. We study religion in global scope and in the light of social realities, humanities, social sciences, languages and cultures of the world.
Our programs include:
- Bachelor of Arts in Church Management
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies
- Doctor of Missiology
- Doctor of Philosophy in Religious Studies
Our new curriculum for PhD program can now be completed in 2 years and 3.5 months or the equivalent of 7 trimesters. Classes are conducted virtually every week. Along with virtual classes are asynchronous classes where we combined the use of bluebook, Group Chat, email and other online means to facilitate the learning process. Prospective students can now register online at: myportal.pcu.edu.ph. Our faculty line-up includes the most sought-after professors of distinguished scholarship especially trained in the field of religious studies, theology, philosophy of religion, Biblical studies, missions, church ministry and other related specialized areas in religious field. They are trained from prestigious academic institutions in the Philippines, United States of America, and Europe.
Our enrollment is growing rapidly despite the pandemic. We are ecumenical represented by different denominations such as: Southern Baptist, United Church Of Christ In The Philippines (UCCP), United Methodist, Iglesia Evangelica Metodista En Las Islas Filipinas (IEMELIF), Korean Prybeterian, Korean Methodist, Salvation Army, Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, Alliance Church, Assemblies Of God, Anglican Church (Myanmar), Seventh Day Adventist and Independent churches.
We are also internal, represented by various nationalities: Filipino, Korean, American, Kenyan, Indonesian, MYANMAR, Liberian, African, etc.
Students can access to a vast array of resources including the PCU’s e-library system. https://resources.pcu.edu.ph/ebscohost/.
The IPRS promotes spiritual nurturance and intellectual freedom by leading students to examine life’s questions in the light of the university’s core value, faith, character and service. We are committed to a high quality of education program, supporting a variety of disciplinary and professional academic programs at the baccalaureate, masters and doctoral levels for the development of intelligent religion; the IPRS recognizes the need for the role of the human mind and spirit in enhancing the quality of life.
The IPRS as an independent degree-granting unit of the university aims to prepare a degree candidate for academic career to teach in the area of religion, philosophy and other related fields and to provide training for scholarly research in specialized field or professional training in associated field. Our principal aim is the development of teachers, leaders and other practitioners imbued with Christ-like character, intellectual independence and ethical behavior through the cultivation of critical, scientific and creative faculties of the mind and the promotion of strong research culture and volunteerism.
Rev. Marcelino B. Padama, Jr., Ph.D.
Program Head, IPRS
For 23 years PCU’s Institute of Philosophy and Religious Studies (IPRS) has been training clergy
and lay with deep passion to serve the Lord in the academe, in the mission field and in the local
church ministry to transform both the human heart and the society. We offer Degree Programs
such as Master of Arts in Theological Studies, Doctor of Missiology, and Doctor of Philosophy
and Religious Studies that equip men and women with biblical, theological knowledge and
practical ministry skills that are grounded on the word of God effective and faithful ministry to
the church and the world. Recently, due to the growing demand of the community we
expanded our program and offered the Bachelor of Arts in Church management to train pastors
and lay leaders to equip them with Biblical knowledge and practical skills in church
- Form 138
• Certificate of Good Moral Character • Two (2) copies of 2×2 picture
- Certificate of Transfer Credential (Honorable Dismissal)
- Certificate of Grades for Evaluation/ Transcript of Records
- Certificate of Good Moral Character Proof of Residency, e.g. Barangay Clearance
- ID picture with white background (a) 2 pcs. of 2×2 picture (b) 4 pcs. of 1×1 picture
- Student Visa and/or Passport (Photocopy Only)
- Authenticated copy of Transcript of Records and scholastic records
- Certificate of Good Moral Character
- Certificate of Eligibility & Study Permit
- Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) (Photocopy)
ONLINE ADMISSION, REGISTRATION AND ENROLMENT
For online admission, please contact the Admission Office
- 0951 563 3514
Bachelor of Arts in Church Management (ABCM)
The Bachelor of Arts in Church Management is designed to give students cutting-edge, relevant and responsive pastoral leadership capacities, organizational skills, and management abilities that are needed to maintain and raise churches and other related religious communities. Majority of our current students are second-coursers.
Major subjects include:
- Christian Formation and Spiritual Disciplines
- Understanding the Self
- Leadership in Religious Organizations/Organizational Ethics and Values
- Church Organizational Management
- Social Services
- Church Management in Church History Survey
- Church Programs Planning and Implementation
- to Effective Church Communications and Outreach
- Christian Ethics
- Living in the IT Era (Digital Theology)
- Readings in Philippine Church History
- Knowledge Management and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) for Church Management
- The Church in the Contemporary World
- Human Resource Management in a Ministry Setting
- Civil Law and Church Law for Church Administrators
- Community Organization and Advocacy
- Financial Management
- Stewardship and Development
- Pastoral Strategic Planning
- Leadership and Decision Making
- Church Policy and Program Administration
- Resource Development in Nonprofit Organizations
- Ministerial Leadership (Coaching)
- Project Management
- BLENDED LEARNING
The Blended Learning Program is based on the 21st century educational system established to offer flexible provision to a diverse range of learners. In this blended modality classes are conducted virtually (synchronously and asynchronously) every week through bluebook, google meet and zoom platform. To facilitate faster communication process, we also communicate through Group Chat, email and other online means. At times local students meet onsite with professor, students from other regions will be connected via online platforms.
- PROFESSIONAL ADVANCEMENT
Education is evolving along with the advancements in the globe and in technology. This flexibility in online learning symbolizes the way of life you lead without feeling pressed or having to sacrifice your career growth.
- PROGRAM FOR ACCELERATED COLLEGE EDUCATION (PACE)
Is an alternative system of education, a mode of educational delivery that opens up opportunities for potential students who, because of their circumstances, cannot attend regular classroom interactions and are prevented from realizing their educational goals.
True to its vision of Faith, Character and Service, Philippine Christian University grants scholarships to deserving but financially deficient students. It is the general policy of the University to give discount in tuition fees to students who qualify per established criteria of the University scholarship grants.
- Interested applicants may only avail or can qualify to one type of scholarship or grants provided by the University.
- Applicants must secure and fill out the application form for Scholarships available at the Center for Audit, Quality Assurance and Accreditation.
- Applicants must submit all the required documents or attachments together with the scholarship form at the Center for Audit, Quality Assurance and Accreditation.
- The Center for Audit, Quality Assurance and Accreditation will process the application and inform no later than 15 days the applicant with the result together with the reassessed fee.
- Submit filled up form with required documents within the month prior to the scheduled
- Prelim exam for College Students or at least a week before the second grading period exams for Basic Education, Junior High School and Senior High School.
For more information, connect to this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DednX6mD4mKDCaf7Qu_C-qdNDCHj8zWL/view?usp=drive_link
The Institute of Philosophy and Religious Studies (IPRS) was formed in 2001; its former name was IPRS was form an offshoot of two merging religious and philosophy small departments merging, the PCU’s .
Graduate School of Religion and Philosophy was formed in 2001 when proposal to establish a doctoral program in theology was finalized and be administered by the faculty of Union Theological Seminary in Dasmariñas Cavite. Doctor of Theology was the first program offered with 3 students. The following year the department came under the umbrella of PCU, allowing it to have the government’s Commission of Higher Education (CHED) approval status. To meet the needs of the increasing number of students from Korea and Myanmar, a Doctor of Philosophy in Theology was offered in the same year. In 2008 a Master of Arts in Theological Studies (MATS) was also offered.
In 2011 when the undergraduate and graduate programs of Religion and Philosophy joined, the Institute of Philosophy and Religious Studies (IPRS) was born. Dr. Alfredo Agtarap became its first Director. In the year 2012-2013, Doctor of Philosophy in Religious Studies, Doctor of Missiology and Master of Arts in Theological were given Government Recognition by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
The emergence COVID19 pandemic has changed the world and Higher Education Institutions have to adjust to the new situation where face to face classes were restricted. In response to this situation, through the leadership of the University President, Dr. Junifen F. Gauuan, the university shifted to innovative ways and alternative, flexible teaching modalities to effectively fulfil the university mandate to provide quality education.
In 2022, despite the pandemic, number of interested students increased into hundreds, and to meet their demands, IPRS offered addition major courses and areas of concentration which include Church Management, Church Administration, and Theology, now under the University Academic Extension Programs (UAEP). As the University turned borderless, digital and multiversity, enrolees in the IPRS dramatically increased to more than a hundred students, mostly from Asian and African regions with diverse theological traditions and denominational backgrounds such as Methodist, Assembles, Pentecostals, United Church, Baptist, Reformed, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Seventh day Adventist and others.
The IPRS is committed to continuously providing cutting-edge and innovative advanced theological educations that are relevant and responsive to the needs of the time.