POLICY AND PROCEDURES ON TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
POLICY ICT-015: POLICY AND PROCEDURES ON TECHNOLOGY SERVICES
POLICY STATEMENT: Pursuant to the mandate of the University President and the PCU – Board of Trustees (PCU-BOT) with the Office of the Vice President for Information and Communications Technology as the implementing agency, the Information and Communications Technology Center (ICTC), formerly the Information Technology Department (ITD), which provides technology services to the PCU stakeholders in providing leadership, innovation and technical resources required to establish and support the University’s Information and Communications Technology (ICT) enterprise more particularly described below, to wit:
- Application Programming
- Networking and Communications
- Enterprise Resource Planning and Systems Administration
- Helpdesk, Desktop and Mobile Devices Support
- Educational Technology
- Cloud Computing Services
- University Website Management
- Motion Graphics and Vector Imaging
- Technology and Innovations in the Academic Curricula
- Instructional Media and the Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs)
- Identification Cards Management of Employees and Students
Technology services are provided in accordance with the provisions and procedures outlined in this memorandum.
PROCEDURES AND SPECIFIC INFORMATION:
A. PURPOSE and OBJECTIVES
To establish procedures for acquiring ICT services through the Information and Communications Technology Center for the faculty and staff of the University.
B. SCOPE AND APPLICABILITY:
This policy and procedures memorandum apply to all operational units of Philippine Christian University (Manila and MJCN Campus) that require support from the Information and Communications Technology Center.
C. REQUESTING TECHNOLOGY SERVICES:
1. GENERAL PROVISIONS:
Request for technology services will be initiated by the individual requesting the service or a department/unit designee. A request is made by requesting a new “problem ticket”, “access request” or “change order” via the online PCU Help Desk Support for the appropriate category.
All requests must have the written or online approval (may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, handwritten approval with signature is accepted) of the requestor’s immediate supervisor, University President/VP/AVP/Dean/Director/Principal/Dept. Head/Coordinator, as the appropriate data manager (compliance to Data Privacy), where applicable before being completed by the ICTC personnel.
The ICTC personnel will not be permitted to provide digital services without an approved request authorizing the work unless directly authorized by the VPICT, where applicable and where appropriate. Once a request has completed the written or online approval process, it generally takes 36 hours to five (5) days to complete most requests (see Priority Service Level Requirements). Should a particular request require a longer period of time for completion, the contact person is usually notified.
3. RESPONSIBILITIES AND PROCEDURES:
- VPs/AVPs/Deans/Principals/Directors/Department Heads/Coordinators and their respective staff may request digital support for areas within their jurisdiction by (1) providing a concise but complete description of the requested service identifying (aa) the data affected; (bb) the information needed; (cc) the problem to be corrected; (dd) the output description (attaching a sample report, if necessary) and by (2) requesting a realistic completion date. Requests are then to be routed electronically to the custodian of the system for approval.
- The custodian of the system or designated ICT personnel of the OVPICT/ICTC Director, will approve or reject the request. If approved, the request will be routed to the appropriate ICTC Section/Division/Unit for processing. If the request is rejected, it will be closed and an email notification (thru @pcu.edu.ph) will be sent to the requestor. A request may be rejected for any number of reasons, for example, an incorrect form used, report already exists, request already in process, confidential data, information available through another means, etc.
- The Information and Communications Technology Center (ICTC) designated personnel who will serve as the ‘analyst’ will be notified electronically that a request is waiting. Once completed, the request will be marked “completed” and “closed” by the designated ICTC personnel. The requestor will be notified electronically that the request has been closed. The requestor should open the email from the PCU Help Desk Support indicating that the request has been closed and read it for any special instructions.
D. ACQUISITON OF COMPUTERS, DIGITAL DEVICES, DIGITAL PERIPHERALS, SOFTWARE AND DIGITAL SERVICES:
The Information and Communications Technology Center (ICTC) will review proposed purchases for computers, computer-related components, digital devices, digital peripherals, software and digital services to ensure that the acquisition will satisfy the need; to ensure completeness of the request; to ensure compatibility of hardware, where applicable; to ensure that provisions for legal software are being met; and to ensure in-house maintainability and support, where appropriate and where applicable.
Training in the use of computer systems, applications and University platforms shall be the standard operating procedure for incoming faculty and staff to be conducted by the Information and Communications Technology Center (ICTC) – Systems and Programming Department. It is essential that our University manpower is well-equipped with the University platforms, cloud productivity tools and other applications prior to their deployment in their respective areas. Our present pool of faculty and staff are also enjoined to undergo the re-training to strengthen their capability for online teaching and learning for the effective delivery of digital/online services to students. Certifications will be issued by the ICTC and will be submitted to the HRDO and becomes part of the requirement in the hiring process.
On occasions, formal training for Departments and Colleges in the use of systems and platforms may be needed and will require making the request via the online PCU Help Desk Support system. When making such a request, the nature of the training must be stated, as well as the times available for training the PCU personnel and possible available locations for conducting the training sessions.
F. REQUESTING SERVICES:
A.) PCU Help Desk and Support
Faculty and staff members may be granted access to the University’s digital resources, if deemed appropriate for their positions or departments.
To become a user of the University’s resources, a request must be made through the Office of the Vice President for Information and Communications
Technology (Manila Campus) thru email. Please state the access rights and privileges you wish to obtain specifically aligned with your functions and
B.) Requesting and Updating End User Account Access
Request for access to systems, University platforms and applications are to be made on the appropriate access form, with the approval and endorsement
of the employee’s immediate superior who shall act as the Data Manager of the system access being requested. Each system, platform or application and
its specific functions, is overseen by the immediate superior whom will concurrently act as the Data Manager and is responsible for managing user access
and security of specific function of these system, platform or application. Requests to update access are to be made on the appropriate access update form.
The following systems, platforms applications are required for obtaining and updating access, where applicable and where appropriate:
- School Management System
- Bluebook (the official eLearning portal of Philippine Christian University)
- Google Workspace for Education
- Microsoft Office 365 for Education
- Zoom for Education
- Other systems, platforms and applications officially managed by ICTC
During each academic year, the Information and Communications Technology Center will assess the effectiveness of this policy and procedures via a survey.
Any inquiries or questions relative to this policy and procedures memorandum should be directed to the Office of the Vice President for Information and Communications Technology.
For strict compliance. Please be guided accordingly.